Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 2.. the feria

The street market of San Telmo is about 15 blocks long with (what´s advertized) 270 stalls. They block off Defensa Street to traffic and the street fills with people and crafters, artists, antique and junk markets. Peòple walk through the crowns selling fresh squeezed orange juice, "cafe columbia" and trays of tarts, pastries and raosted nuts. I didn´t buy anything but some lunch in this cafe, Territorio.. I had a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich with fried potatoes.. its hard to order a salad with no olives or blue cheese and I have to be careful about meat..they like to call it " in the pink" aka not cooked very much for someone who likes staek almost blackened... I know I will leave Argentina with a Yerba Mate gourd and bombilla but for now I know I will see more markets and wonderful places.

I´m not sure what is getting more attention.. my shaved and patchy hair or my tattoos.. but I spent the day showing off both and I got a lot of looks. It´s really challenging to not believe the stares are judgemental and negative. If I look in a window, I feel I look weird looking. It´s hard to not retreat. You hear people laugh and you think its about you. The waitress in the cafe ignores you. Someone looks at you and then looks away quickly when you notice them.. I assume its because of my hair. I try and remember people who will judge me negatively- I don´t want around me anyway. People who are kind and understanding who will let me move though a hair pulling phase of my life- I would rather. There´s hiding my hair pulling and there´s leaving it alone and being comfortable and sometimes that means not hiding it.

Maybe tomorrow I will move to a nearby hostel.. it is a few dollars cheaper and has much better mattresses. the lockers are in the hall though. I´m trying to organize my days.. BA is a big city and there is much to see..

Cementerio de la Recoleta
El Abasto Market
El Molino- a old art nouveau building.. "the windmill"
San Telmo Square for the Tango
A real Tango show
La Boca neighborhood
Nearby Tigre- a small town with canals and boat markets
Colonia, Uruguay (and maybe Montevideo)

2 comments:

M said...

you are an amazing, brave woman!

catherine Wilde said...

will you bringing back a painting like the one you purchased at the NYC street market.

you are beautiful - it is just that different cultures have different ideas about beauty - what it is and where it comes from. I would suspect that Latin cultures attribute specific things to beauty that we do not.