Thursday, August 4, 2011

day 13- Madres of Plaza de Mayo

Every Thursday at 3:30 since 1977, the mothers of missing people from the last military regime in Argentina have marched in Plaza de Mayo in Buenos Aires. Guess where I'll be today at 3:30.

The goverment has claimed 9000 people were lost duringt he regime, but others say its closer to 30000. I´ve read bits and peices about the Dirty War.

One thing is for certain.. Buenos Aires is not a city that takes a situation lightly. There have been 3 rallys in the 2 weeks I´ve been here.

here´s a wiki link on the weekly protest

In other news.. I´m sick with the flu. Copious amounts of Advil and cough drops keep me on the move though.

Today.. La Boca again for photos, Plaza De Mayo at 3, maybe back to Chacarita

Friday- Palermo area, Modern Art Museum, Recoletta once again and for the last time..

Sat morning: San Telmo and airport by 1:30 or 2.. plane leaves at 3:30pm

2 comments:

M said...

sorry you got sick - sounds like a nasty cold. maybe you can sleep it off all the way home.

M said...

Madres of Plaza de Mayo is a fascinating and inspiring story - thanks for sharing it.