Thursday, August 4, 2011

day 12- street art

I took an really good tour of street art in Buenos Aires that I stumbled upon. I would highly reccomend it for someone just arriving in BA as at the end, I got some really cool tips that I dont have time for (like going to a working ranch.. not a tourist one!)

On my way to the meeting spot, I went to the other cemetary6 in town and its not so photographic.. but I did find a really amazing sculpture of a fallen giant angel being considered by 4 buzzards! Incredible.

I walked down a street away from the cemetary and found the Yerba Mate cup I wanted. They are everywhere and I´d been holding out for a special one. Its a gourd covered in pewter and then stamped with a design of a heart and flowers with Mi amo.. or my love. (this is after I htought I had found the onw.. hand carved with a spiral design and a hand carved straw from a street vendor.. both were 30 Peso or about $6..but I think I got a better de4al on the 2nd.)

A police officer came over to where I was standing with the street vendor near the cemetary.. presumably to watch over the transaction. He didn´t speak any English, but I tried to make conversation anyway. The street vendor spoke a little Engliish and told me the police officer had said I was really pretty. Then he whispered some Spanish and I said "no entiendo" or I dont understand.. but I get the distinct feeling it wasnt something anyone should translate..if you get my drift. Then a woman came up and they kissed.. but not in a general greeting way. The whole situation was really really odd so I bid my Ciao and left for the tour of street grafitti.

We walked in a certain are for a few blocks then a mini bus would drive us to a new area and we would walk. I´m officially with the flu, so this was not so fun to stand around and listen to the history of the politics involved etc.. although I did enjoy the tour and get some great photos. Here they are











No comments: