Monday, March 16, 2009

A Taste of Cuba

A new friend dropped off an old book for me.

The sketches are amazing. They're done by Ximena Maier and now I am a fan. They really capture the feeling of what I saw in Cuba and like photographs I took. So, feeling inspired.. I decided to take on page 73 and make Red Snapper "a la Santa Barbara".

While I warm up leftovers..

Ingredients:
1/2 cup wheat flour
2 eggs
2/3 cup shredded coconut (I used packaged, but I have a funny feeling fresh would have been better.)
1 tbsp chopped scallion or green onion
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1 lb fresh red snapper (go to a Fishmonger if you can.)
Oil for deep frying (Grapeseed is best)

For the sauce:
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (I used the left over green onion)
1 ounce butter
2/3 cup white wine (I bought Santa Isabela Sauvignon Blanc- Chile, and it was lovely.)
1 1/4 cup coconut milk
1 tsp wheat flour
1 pinch Annatto powder (if you can find it. see note)

Method:

For the sauce:
Saute onion in 2/3rds the butter for 3-4 min. on low heat without allowing it to brown.
Add the wine & coconut milk and cook on low until reduced by half.
In a separate pan, fry a tsp of the flour in the remaining butter.
Add this to the 1st mixture to thicken the sauce.
Add the annatto powder and cook for 5-7 minutes more.
Season with Salt & pepper.
Puree the sauce and set aside in a saucepan.
The sauce should be light and not too thick.

Place the flour in a shallow bowl and the beaten egg in another. In a 3rd bowl, place the shredded coconut with the chopped scallion/onion and parley. Season the fish fillets with salt, cover each fillet first with flour, then the egg, and finally with the coconut mixture. heat the oil in a skillet on high heat and deep fry the fish until golden. Drain the fish on paper towel.

serve the fish immediately with the very hot sauce handed separately.

Drink the rest of the wine.

(Note: Annatto powder is adds no flavor, just a yellowish or orange coloring.)


1 comment:

Catherine said...

Thanks for putting the recipe online. That was an amazing dinner - thanks for having me over :-)