Sunday, July 31, 2011

day 9- Iguazu means big water

Today I went to the Uguazu Falls on the Argentina side. To be honest with you.. I dont reccomend a guided tour. My tour guide spoke very little english. When we arrived at 9 am we walked 1100meters down these metal walkways across the river to the viewing point of the Devil´s Throat. It was impressive for sure. I´m sad that the day was overcast and rainy. I would have enjoyed it more in the sun.. but inevitably that means you would be in the humidity as well.



We walked back and we waited for a train.. like a little tourist train that goes through Stanley Park.. then we waited at some shops and you were encouraged to buy something. I bought a cheese sandwich that was soggy. Blech. Then you took the train back and you waited some more and then stopped at restaurants. It was pouring rain and people poured into the cover from the never ending water. Again you were encouraged to have buy something.

I was beginning to feel a bit frustrated at the waiting around and the delays . Finally. we went down other paths to magnificent views and drops and walkways that took you almost to the very edge. The sound of the rushing water jumping over the edge of the rocks was immense. We walked down to the very bottom and was given waterproof bags for our belongings.. for the boat ride.

I packed away everything and put on my life vest all the while vaguely aware that I had not signed a waiver of any sort. Weird.. I´ll get in this crazy boat with a life vest and my belongings in an air tight bag. Away we went to more amazing views and very choppy water and very obvious rocks in the water. Good lord.. they go out of their way to make the tourists scream and top it all off by going under the falls which is basically as few tons of water dumping on you. I was SOAKED. I saw others who had put their shoes in the bag. Smart. My sneakers are fully soaked. Thanks to the humidity of the jungle, its hard for anything to dry very quickly.

It was amazing though.. so much water. And a wee lesson for me.. I don´t really resonate with nature as much as I do markets and streets and buildings. I mean it´s good and it was amazing.. but its not my big WOW.. look at THAT moment..but this is one of my photos from today. (there were monkeys too:)





No comments: