Hello Toronto,
I like your wind turbines on the way into downtown. I wanted to let you know. It seems like a giant alien art project in motion. Sometimes when I feel big city-ish I also enjoy all the blinking lights, car horns and arteries of cars pumping humanity in and out of the city core. It reminds me of New York City a bit. You and all your skyscrapers! But you know.. I don't really enjoy your big city ways. You have some pretty impressive freeways and commuter belts. Not to sure who's pants they're holding up though. It feels like the city is lying down and snaking through the city like a black river with confetti lights.
But.. you have these great little nooks and crannies. Once I found a butter dish that was all hand painted Art Nouveau. It was 50 smackers but I had to have it. I hope I find that little place again. I'd buyt another one. I also love your little independent restaurants and shops especially. You feel all sorts of optimism when the one-off business is thriving. (Big box stores and malls make me sad. I bet they do it to you too but you don't know it because Coca Cola and Gap ads are so full of jump around joy).
You have a love for food too. Great freaking food. All over the place. Butcher shops thrive here. We shut them down in Vancouver. Cheese shops too.. great legendary cheese shops. One of my favorite paces is my destination tonight.. FRESH. Everything is raw and fresh and healthy and ridiculously made from vegetables and fruits and ya.. it's like a massage for my vitamin deficiencies. You make a crazy nut and chocolate shake too.. and well you are 5 blocks away.. I know it will be good.
Thanks Toronto. We might have fun before I leave ON A TRAIN. Ya, you've got that too. You can go to a train station and get on a train that chugs out of the city on a track and goes places and has wifi and dining cars. There's something so civilized about a city that has a train that will take you to another city. I really like that about you Toronto. For some reason Vancouver plays the train game only part of the year or it costs a zillion dollars to contend with the road block known as the Rocky Mountains.
One last thing.. please don't snow. I didn't pack for it.
Thanks,
Jill
1 comment:
toronto will always be my first love. it's where i really feel i'm home. so jealous that you went to fresh. nothing as good here (that i've found anyhow).
Post a Comment