Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 24- 100 day challenge



IMGP0041, originally uploaded by jilly71.

I went to the Tacoma Museum of Glass today. It's about a 45 minute drive from Seattle. I wouldn't say it's a museum though. It's more of a gallery. There's a hot shop where they are blowing glass live all day. It was, really kind of the best part. The other best part was the exhibit where they had taken children's drawings made into glass sculptures. Pure folly and whimsy and playful. The website for the museum has a bit of info and some of the pieces.. but they were so great. Smaller versions were for sale but sooooo expensive! What a wonderful thing for kids to see their refridgerator drawings turned into full on glass sculptures!

I was a bit disappointed there wasn't more info along the lines of the history of glass blowing or glass making. Like, when did glass first appear on the art scene in history. That's why I wouldn't call it a museum.

I did buy a souvenier though.. a glass baby head drinking glass. I LOVE IT. (and I went to a cafe that had all these Etch-A-Sketch's and the owner came by and showed us what someone left behind that was freaking amazing.)

See more photos here

Hair: 1 minute

2 comments:

M said...

Very interesting souvenir. The glass gallery sounds fabulous. You can s come here some summer and take a week of continuing ed. glass blowing lessons at the local college.

erin said...

jilly, there's a studio on pine, between 5th and 6th that i used to go to all the time.. especially in the winter - such a haven. they have an observation area and you can watch them work. for hours, if you wanted:)