All these years I thought I had Shepard's Pie in the bag. I'd made it so many times before, it was a no brainer. So, I tell the boyfriend, that's what I'm making for dinner and he just about falls out of his chair. I'm going to cook lamb? He thinks incredulously. Ya, that would be incredible. But I say, no of course not. Then he's all like.. well you're making cottage pie not Shepard's Pie and then and politely, with accent, explains the difference.. Did you really think Shepard's Pie didn't include the flock of the Shepard? Um no, I guess not. Why the hell do they call it Cottage Pie then? I guess it refers to the scraps in the house.
Oh well.
Brown a 1/b of lean ground beef. I buy ground beef only from a butcher. I don't trust grinding facilities in Safeway or any other major grocery store and neither should you.
Add 2-3 carrots, and an onion chopped
Brown for 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink
Add 1tbsp flour, 1tsp allspice and 1tbsp mixed dry herbs (thyme, basil, marjoram, etc..)
Mix 1 1/2 cups beef broth with 1tbsp tomato paste, add to beef and simmer until fluid almost absorbed.
Meanwhile.. boil potatoes, drain and mash with butter & milk
Spoon meat into casserole dish, add a can of corn, top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with a bit of cheddar cheese.
Bake in 350'F oven for 30 minutes or until the boyfriend comes home.
2 comments:
Yes I thought the same thing...until I lived here. Traditionally Cottage Pie was associated with rural, poor, working class people whose homes[cottages] were usually tied to their employment. Cottage pie was a way of using cheap nutritious food and left overs to make a tasty and sustaining meal.Often cottagers were provided with free potatoes which form the topping of cottage pie, by the farmers who employed them. It was a way of paying lower wages.
Thanks! I was just looking for a shepard's pie recipe....
Post a Comment