Wednesday, November 11, 2009

NaBloPoMo #11

What I remember..
  • We had shag carpet or some kind of texture-y carpet. I think it was beige..or off white.
  • The cat was fat and a regular tabby kind of cat. Her name was Duchess. I have no memories of enjoying this cat, which I find odd.
  • My parents were big fans of teak furniture, but you know it was the 70's. (on a side note: there a shop in my neighbourhood that sells vintage furniture and has a whole room dedicated to the Danish 70's groove. Once they had the couch from my childhood. I was mesmerized by it's incarnation in my life 30 yrs later and told them so. Every now and then I go in and remember the family living room.)
  • I had a washed out acrylic/polyester nightgown with a faded floral pattern, elastic at the collar and sleeves that I suffered insufferable bouts of static cling in.
  • I used to watch Sesame Street with my chin propped on my elbows- entranced. Somewhere nearby would likely be a bowl of corn flakes and milk or porridge.
  • The kitchen had orange lino and the kitchen chairs were covered in vinyl that stuck to my legs on hot days. My mother would make me peanut butter and banana sandwiches and serve them on paper towel.
  • My best friend lived next door. Her name was Tanya Barter and her parents were from Australia. Her father used to shovel the snow in his shorts. I remember sitting in their kitchen when Elvis died and not knowing who Elvis was. "Who shot JR" had a bigger impact in my life.
  • Her younger brother was Trent and he once peed all over the front yard and sprayed the windows. It's my 1st known memory of seeing a penis.
  • Once I bought "perfume" with my allowance from a kid who lived across the street. It was really rose petals and water in a jar. I think my mom found it in my closet and made me take it back.
  • My father made fun of the decor of a house across the street. You could see in their house because they had a large front window. I think it was the wallpaper that pissed him off.
  • The address was 77 Greystone Crescent and the phone number was 464-3182. I have no idea why I have retained that fact except I remembered it when I was a child when you needed to know how to dial 911 or tell someone you were in trouble and where you lived and how to get a hold of your parents.
  • My bedroom had cold white/grey lino and I often ran from the light switch to the bed because there was something very very bad under the bed.

2 comments:

M said...

Great memory - and sorry about the nightgown - as a child you should have had cotton (not as flammable).

Catherine said...

Incredible memory!!! When I am in a senior's home with alzheimers, will you come visit me and tell me stories about our childhood? I can't remember what I did last week, much less anything like this.