Thursday, July 16, 2009

2 weeks and then 2 weeks

In 2 weeks I'll be headed home to spend some time in the beautiful Alberta prairies. I'm really looking forward to a long weekend with my mum and getting to see some family. Do a little driving, take a few pictures, get some good prairie air in my lungs. There's something weirdly calming about puffy white clouds, blue skies and weather storms that can take your roof off. Big thundering cracks of lightning is the kind of thing you don't get in Vancouver. There's something horribly wrong with rain with no thunder.

2 weeks after that, I'll be headed back to the plains of Manitoba. Somewhere I've caught a fondness for, There's mysteries and past wants creeping through the coulees of southern Manitoba. There's also some really fond friends that I lost touch with until recently. I am immensely grateful for finding them again for they are the kind of folks who I immediately feel at ease with. People I know in my heart we are friends and the kind of people you just pick up where you left off. My heart nearly exploded from my refound joy and delight in my lost friendships.

The prairies hold a special place in my heart. They are magical and mysterius plains of Western Canada. They are as exotic as foreign beaches and extravagent museums. As unique as the worn cobblestone of any european city and as rich with heritage and fable as the dark corners of the parisian acfes of philosphers past. I am a prairie girl at heart. I am old barn wood and abandoned houses filled with grain. I am the smell of trackers, oil and gasoline. I am the smell of fresh baked bread on a sunny window ledge. I am old and weathered skin and plaid farmer shirts. I am a storm cloud looking for my lightning bolt.

14 days and counting
28 days and waiting
till I get back.

Jill

1 comment:

M said...

you write beautifully - I loved reading you last blog.