Friday, June 5, 2009

serene is not an adjective that fits


IMGP3531, originally uploaded by jill y.


I was in a little village outside of Gibara, Cuba when I snapped this. The water really is that color and it really was that close to the house. It was amazing. Do you see that little lagoon on the map? I spent a day there, wading in the crystal turquoise water. Rubbing my feet with soft white sand and generally not doing much except being amazed that people flock to the beaches of Varadero and here I was on my own private beach of Cuba. There's a little fishing village there. Last year a few visitors- Ike, Fay, Gustav and Hanna rolled through town and tore the place up.. literally. And it was in shambles. Beautiful, peaceful and serene shambles.


View Larger Map

I rented a car in nearby Holguin and drove to a little remote beach with the help of some locals. They knew some people in the village. We were the only ones on the beach all day. Totally remote. Totally secluded. Later, in a home (a shack really- pieced together from salvaged plywood, corrugated steel and plastic) we had the most delicious dinner of fresh caught fish, plantains, rice and a salad of fresh tomatoes and onions and finished off with a strong coffee. The hosts requested 7 CUC (about 9 CAD) for lunch and I paid them 20- which was nearly a small fortune- but so delicious..and so remote and special.

It was a perfect day.

You can see more of the day here.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Amazing photo - looks like the ocean is 2 feet from the front door of the cabin. Love your work.