Tuesday, April 28, 2009

you can smell it in the air

and it's not the exhaust of the collectivo taxi's...Socialism is in the air.

The Cuban flag's are flying everywhere. I woke up the other morning to fins the street of my Casa had the curbes white washed and something announcing 01 May was written across the road.

Today, I went to the bust station to buy my ticket to Holguin and went past the Plaza de Revolution and they were testing the speakers and sound system and benches were set up. Rumor is you must leave very early to go to the Rally as all of Havana will be there. It is required of the 'workers'. No one will tell me if Fidel will be there. I make the joke that he is dead, and I am told to shhh. Raul will be there and I will be there with the rest of Havana. I am excited.

I met some photographers by coming across their studio. We spent the evening sitting on the Malecon drinking rum from the bottle and getting very drunk. Yesterday the 3 of us went for a walk with our cameras looking like the unofficial paparazzi. They said they will take me to the rally. The do documentaries in their other time to make money.

I have bought many Cuban movie posters, but have not found the place where th3ey do the silkscreening. I give up trying to get that project.

Havana's poem for me is slowly being written. But my time on the crappy crapastic internet is comeing to an end and it will take nearly 10 minutes to publish this...

So, one last thing, if you are reading... my feet hurt so much that I have learned to ignore it.

Love, Jill

1 comment:

MARFSBABY said...

I'm reading! Keep up the writing... I love hearing about your Cuban adventure, you write really beautifully.