Saturday, April 18, 2009

one of the beautiful things

About Cuba is that they have a rich history of poster arts. The Instituto Cubano del Arte e Industria Cinematográficos (ICAIC) creates posters in a standard size to fit the movie marquees, all hand screen printed one color at a time. The colors are added in thick coats, usually taking a day to dry each layer and each one is hand done.

They are amazing and I was lucky enough to stumble upon them when I went to Cuba last year.

I have found them again, with a little research on line. So I'll share the one's I have.

This one hangs in my bedroom. I adore it for it's art nouveau style and cream and red coloring. It's sits nicely against this Mucha .


008, originally uploaded by jill y.



and here are the other one's I have brought back. They are brilliant, with a kind of Monty Python type quality to them. I absolutely adore them. They were $10 each, if you can believe it. I am taking a large art tube to Cuba with me. Can you guess why??


074, originally uploaded by jill .059, originally uploaded by jill y.


022, originally uploaded by jill y.

023, originally uploaded by jill y.


054, originally uploaded by jill y.

205, originally uploaded by jill y.


035, originally uploaded by jill y.

No comments: