I got a response from a preferred Casa.
An Art Nouveau Casa. *sigh* It's one of only 25 building left in the Art Nouveau style in Old Havana and built in 1913 by Mario Rotllant.
It's an air-conditioned bedroom with a double bed with a private bathroom and a ceiling fan. There's also an open air patio off the bedroom.
So lovely. So lucky to get a space. Can't believe I missed seeing this building as I walked all over Habana Veija last year. It's 30 CUC a day (totally average price for any casa and about $40) and has an optional breakfast for 4 CUC ($5) which is apparently: fresh fruit, coffee/tea, bread and eggs. Have I ever mentioned the Cuban coffee and honey? OMG- that's another post all together.
Naturally, I have cordially declined on the other casa. I'm not sure if I'll go anywhere else in Cuba. This is like a dream. I wonder if they'll keep me as their in house Canadian?
I once went all the way to Brussels to look at Art Nouveau and dreamed of finding an Art Nouveau house to stay in. I didn't, but I find it oddly ironic I have found one in Havana. I didn't even know Art Nouveau was in Havana and when I did see it last year- it was crumbling.
Now, I have a renewed mission and purpose- to rediscover and find anew the lost Cuban Art Nouveau.
1 comment:
Now this does look lovely. Lucky you. Don't forget to come back.
Post a Comment