Thursday, January 29, 2009

stress relief

Classes are designed for beginners with little or no experience and
will provide the student with a thorough knowledge of basic glass
blowing techniques, hotshop etiquette and safety. During each
class teachers will demonstrate and guide students step by step to
create their own one of a kind glass blown piece, which can be
picked up and ready to take home as early as the next day. Students
will have the chance to learn and practice the fundamentals
of gathering, centering, marvering, basic color application and
proper shop etiquette in a fun, safe and comfortable environment.
All materials are included. Sunglasses, cotton clothing, and closed
toed footwear. There is a maximum of 6 students per workshop
with 2 instructors. Each student will make 6 pieces.

Did you know it costs $600 to take glass blowing classes? Who knew hotshops were so expensive.

I met the guy who runs this class in my favorite coffee shop one really early morning day. I didn't know he was a glass blower, but we started talking about Chihuly and I went off on some tangent about how glass blowing was really similar to soap making. Soap needs to be poured at a certain temperature even just before it cools. If you aren't quick, it can turn into a solid right before your eyes. Just like hot glass.

The night before there was a glass blowing documentary on TV, showing a huge hotshop auditorium (there's a big Glass Blowing Studio in Tacoma).

I babbled on about how glass blowing has the same nuances of fragility and I carried on about Chihuly and Oregon. I felt really passionate about it for some reason. Maybe it was the early morning delirium or the lack of coffee. I don't know but, it turned out he was on his way to the Glass Blowing College to do a seminar and gave me his card. I was stunned and said something about serendipity. I have thought about alot and felt I would really enjoy glass blowing.

I visited the studio as part of the Art Crawl and signed up for updates on classes and today it popped up in my inbox. Hello expensive class and 6 keepsakes.

2 comments:

Apples N Honey said...

Chihuly is one of my favourite artists. I'd say top 10 out of the living and dead artists on record (for me that is). My favourite exhibit is the one he installed in old Jerusalem; ancient crumbling buildings and new shiny but fragile glittery glass chandeliers and spikes and swirls of all colours and sizes. *sigh* I still haven't walked the bridge in Seattle that has his art all along it but I will get down there to see it one day. Keep me updated on this one ;)

Jill said...

Hi Lisa,

My interest in glass blowing has nothing to do with Chihuly. It's something I have been curious about since my early 20's but didn't have the cash to do.

I don't know if you know this or not, but Chihuly hasn't blown glass since 1979. I like the grand visual of his work (the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens is a favorite installation) but he recreates his visuals (like the chandeliers and plates)over and over again. I'm not really cool about the whole idea of using dispensable artists to produce the creations, often en masse, and without credit. Even his prints are finished by assistants.

The bridge you mentioned is in Tacoma (where he lives and is from), not Seattle.