Tuesday, December 9, 2008

a sketchy sketch

On my way home, and half way up a hill in the rain, I suddenly discovered my front wheel had gone completely flat. Not a little bit flat. Completely flat. Not ride-able to the nearest gas station. Flat. Did I mention the prairies?

Morosely, I walked my bike down the hill. Rain dripping down my rain covered helmet. Drops of rain in attack mode against my rain repellent pants, making a slight headway into my shoe coverings and certainly dancing a dance upon the neck of my rain coat. Did I mention it was wet?

In the dark and oil slick wet street back to work, I passed 2 coworkers who barely recognized me in my repellent suit of armor. But we said our greetings and carried on.

forward 2 hours:

Me: Oh Kate. It got so much more worse

Kate: What happened???

Me: The keys to the van and my wallet were locked in my office. I thought I had the key. When it turned and broke off in the door, I suddenly realized it was my apt key I broke. Stuck at work in a wet suit- with a flat tire, no money and no apt key.

I did the obvious thing I could think of.

Kate: WHAT?!

Me: With some help, we got a hammer and screwdriver and attacked the lock until it was a wretched mess and then hacked away some more until we were able to get the door open.

Then I phoned my landlord and no one answered.

Kate: OH MY GOD

Me: I KNOW.

Kate: This is awful! Are you still at work??
Me: It's a bad b-movie without the soundtrack.

Kate: Where's your man friend?

Me: In the UK. He has my spare key.

Kate: Oh my......

Me: I spent about 40 minutes me surfing the web, going through friends in my head that would put me up and alternating between a hotel room and sleeping at work.

Kate: Are you just going to keep trying the landlord?

Me: No, it's OK. I'm home now.

Kate: Oh you are? Oooooh, ok good. Good grief Jill!!!

Me: But I got home to find that my boyfriend's vehicle, that he co-shares with another friend, happens to be off insurance and is parked out front in a "street cleaning zone" and bound to be towed if not moved.

Kate: Aaaaaahahhahaa

Me: It's comedy of errors.

5 comments:

Mom said...

When it gets that bad everything just has to get better. Hope you are now warm and dry and the van doesn't get towed because you got a bunch of friends over to push it into the drive or you had a friendly chat with the city maintenance guys...

Apples N Honey said...

*snort*

Glad you got home and didn't sleep under your desk tonight. I'm impressed that you're keeping your sense of humour and adventure alive as well!
xox

Catherine said...

Crazy story, glad you're ok - how's the door/lock at work? Always remember, the coop has a spare room with a comfy bed and comforter.

desdemona said...

i just gave someone a written warning for fucking with a door lock at work! woot woot! you're lucky i'm not there ;)

sonia said...

OMG - that sounds like a really awful experience.

Great story though.

oxo