I thought I had chipped the enamel on my tooth drinking nut smoothies or something. All of a sudden I had searing pain in a tooth one day. The next day it didn't really get better and it was getting uncomfortable. So, I did the most natural thing to do, I bought myself dinner and drank my tea with a straw, avoiding "the sensitive area".
Well, today it was a bit much when just mentioning I had a tooth ache made me cry. I know I'm a bit stressed out right now, but that wasn't a reaction I was expecting. I phoned my dentist and managed to get in right away.
They did a few tests with liquid ice and warm water and concluded the root of my tooth was dead. It's dead they said. The tooth has died. There was a death on my body and I didn't even know! Tears erupted again. I thought I would be taking the tooth home in a tiny matchbox coffin. My fingers felt numb and I wondered where I would get a tiny shovel and how I would carve a tiny cross.
My the dentist reassured me that no- I could keep my dead tooth where it was and they were simply going to drill to inner core, wash out the dead nerve, put a little medicine in there and filler up again. Then, they said the 2 words no one ever wants to hear:
Root canal
Well, today it was a bit much when just mentioning I had a tooth ache made me cry. I know I'm a bit stressed out right now, but that wasn't a reaction I was expecting. I phoned my dentist and managed to get in right away.
They did a few tests with liquid ice and warm water and concluded the root of my tooth was dead. It's dead they said. The tooth has died. There was a death on my body and I didn't even know! Tears erupted again. I thought I would be taking the tooth home in a tiny matchbox coffin. My fingers felt numb and I wondered where I would get a tiny shovel and how I would carve a tiny cross.
My the dentist reassured me that no- I could keep my dead tooth where it was and they were simply going to drill to inner core, wash out the dead nerve, put a little medicine in there and filler up again. Then, they said the 2 words no one ever wants to hear:
Root canal
It actually wasn't so bad. They dumped a truckload lot of freezing in there. Right now my left nostril is completely numb. I didn't feel a thing. I hummed along to the drill and gurgled incohesive words and tried to make eye contact with my teeth surgeons.
Then I did the most appropriate thing. I went and bought all soft foods. Perogies, Corn Chowder, arrowroot crackers and....
..ice cream.
..ice cream.
3 comments:
Brave girl - and who took the photo?
Gawd, was that today?! Hope you're recovering well. Let me know if you need anything. You're loving other half.
I need a 1980's vintage Vespa scooter. Thanks.
Mom- the dentist took the photo with a little camera they use for photographing teeth, I suppose.
Post a Comment