Monday, November 24, 2008

the crawl update

I don't know why I torture myself with the Crawl. I go every year to find myself wandering into studios, to quickly spin on my heels. I know what I like and it's often not abstract, garish, or $2000. And if it's not for the bad art, it's the crowds of people and ones who linger in the entrance ways of studios that make me want to body slam my way out.

No seriously. I'm picky. I like simple things. Things that have a lot of negative space. Things with sinewy lines.

I'm not in the market for beautiful wood furniture or paintings 8 feet tall. I saw some beautiful things though but why torture myself with long gazing admirings? And when I did, it was sold!

What I do really enjoy is seeing the personal objects and presence in the studios. I gaze over them. The items pinned to the walls for inspiration, the paint splattered floors and old thrift store furniture, the notes. When I go into the live/work studios of the ARC, I coyly look at the items pinned to the refrigerators, look at the beds and contemplate opening the cupboards under the guise of "looking for art".

I do. I honestly prefer the voyeuristic aspects to the Crawl more than the art.

BUT: I did find 2 somethings wonderful.

I found a beautiful black wool shawl with woven flowers of pinks and blues with vibrant shades of green leaves. It reminded me of a painting I have.

I found a website and was drawn to the images of one photographer. When I found the studio, the image was for sale and I bought it. It's the image of birds on the 1st page of the website for Clayton Cooper. I should have bought the old abandoned farmhouse shot as well.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Fabulous photos - I LOVE the one of the farmhouse. Interesting person....in his bio, he notes that "....clayton is home to approximately 15 distinct personalities."

Apples N Honey said...

Wow, that bird photo is stunning.

Mom said...

Both photos are amazing - good choices.