Sunday, August 3, 2008

a cut above the rest

I took a wee journey while in London. I headed to Liberty's for mannequin photos, then headed down Regent St and over to Savile Row- which was rather boring. For some reason I thought it would be interesting but I only learned what the word bespoke meant:

2.British.
a.(of clothes) made to individual order; custom-made: a bespoke jacket.
b.making or selling such clothes: a bespoke tailor.

But cutting across Burlington Gardens and through the Burlington Arcade to Piccadilly and then Jermyn St in search of 200 year old Cheesemongers, I stumbled across Taylor of Old Bond St. Which was really exciting.

Ever since Michael bought a Safety Razor from Farfalla in Vancouver to avoid what he tenderly calls "land fill razors", I have been hooked. I adore the old school style, the class and permanency of the delicate little nickle plated unit. I snagged it from him and declared it my own as he didn't like the small handle.And so luckily for Michael, I found this lovely shaving shop and found him the long handled version. Now we're both gleefully portaging the plastic razors, packaging, and shitty quality of the entire shaving aisle in your local drugstore slash supermarket. Check out the link for Taylor's. You can buy them online.

One thing to note: we'll still go back to get our safety blades, which ironically continue to be sold, despite not having the safety razors.

Go figure.




View Larger Map

No comments: