Sunday, March 26, 2006

non related bird deaths

A week ago I found feather tufts all over the floor, reminiscent of other bird kills that have occured in my apt. But, this time, I haven't found the bird. Did Ruby eat it?? I thought if it was in here, I would have smelled it by now, but no.

On the way to get groceries, I came across a headless pidgeon. How does a bird lose only it's head?? It was right under the sktrain tracks. I looked up and there was a lone pigeon sitting on a ledge, seemd to be holding a vigil. Too complicated to catch in a phoot, but I would've liked to.

I've often wondered where birds go when they die. Does it happen suddenly while in mid flight? Do they know it's happening and drop away from the V formation and go be by themselves? Are they sitting on a branch and just fall over? Do they go to the ground? Do other birds know that they have a fallen commrade amongst them? Was that other pidgeon in mourning? And what's the leading cause of natural bird death? Heart attack? Cholesterol?

2 comments:

mrs. tiggy-winkle said...

I used to find pidgeon wings, nothing else, no stray feathers bones nothing. they would be laid out on the ground as though the bird had dropped them. i never had a camera with me to document it. perhaps its just one of those mysteries. or a body swapping pidgeon

Jill said...

Kind of like when birds go to heaven they loose their wings instead of get them?? Bizarre. It sounds like the work of the neighbourhood racoon.